In this tutorial, we will walk you through the steps on how to install Linux Kernel 6.4 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Linux Mint 21.
Linux kernel is the core of the Linux operating system. It is responsible for managing the hardware, scheduling tasks, and providing a platform for running applications.
Linux Kernel 6.4 has been recently released, bringing with it a range of new features, improvements, and bug fixes.
As per Linus Torvalds
Hmm. Final week of 6.4 is done, and we’ve mainly got some netfilter
fixes, some mm reverts, and a few tracing updates.
There’s random small changes elsewhere: the usual architecture noise,
a number of selftest updates, some filesystem fixes (btrfs, ksmb),
Most of the stuff in my mailbox the last week has been about upcoming
things for 6.5, and I already have 15 pull requests pending. I
appreciate all you proactive people.
Understanding the Importance of Kernel Updates
- Improved stability: Kernel updates can fix bugs that can cause instability in your operating system. This can lead to crashes, freezes, and other unexpected behavior.
- Enhanced security: Kernel updates can patch vulnerabilities that could be exploited by hackers to gain unauthorized access to your system.
- Increased performance: Kernel updates can optimize system performance by making better use of your hardware resources. This can lead to faster boot times, smoother application performance, and better battery life.
- New features: Kernel updates can introduce new features that can make your operating system more powerful and versatile. For example, recent kernel updates have added support for new hardware, improved filesystem performance, and introduced new security features.
What’s New in Linux Kernel 6.4?
- Intel Lunar Lake HD audio support:
- Better MSI laptop support.
- SELinux runtime disable the feature.
- SLOB memory allocator removed
- Linus cleaned up x86 memory copy code
How to Install Linux Kernel 6.4 On Ubuntu / Linux Mint?
Step 1: Update the system before proceeding to install kernel 6.4
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
Step 2: Download the mainline kernel packages for Kernel 6.4 using the below commands
Step 3: Install the kernel deb files
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Step 4: Validate the kernel
Once installation is completed reboot the server and verify the newly installed kernel by running the below command or running the neofetch command will print the newer kernel.
From this tutorial, you have learned how to download and install Linux kernel 6.4 on Ubuntu 22.04 and Linux Mint
Do let us know your comments and feedback in the comments section below.
If my articles on TipsonUNIX have helped you, kindly consider buying me a coffee as a token of appreciation
Thank You for your support!!